What is VoiceThread?
VoiceThread is a multimedia presentation tool and discussion space all in one. Lecturers or students can create, share, and comment on images, PowerPoint presentations, videos, audio files, documents, and PDFs, using microphone, webcam, text, phone, and audio file uploads.
VoiceThread allows presenters to create presentations one slide at a time, meaning you can create presentations and add narration when it best suits you or your students. Students can augment presentations with commentary (via multiple media types), ‘doodling’ or marking up the content as they speak to it allowing for optimum creativity.
How do I get started?
VoiceThread Overview & Basic Guides in ExLNT
Basic Instructors Guide (Griffith) to using VoiceThread at Griffith
Instructors Guide (Vendor) for the creation of VTs, VT Assignments and marking online.
Basic Student Guide (Griffith) – Using Learning at Griffith Site
Show me some examples in practice
- A Q&A VT is a good virtual ice-breaker activity and can be used to get Students familiar with the VT environment and each other. This is especially important if you are using VT for assessment purposes in your class.
- The use of VT as Q&A is perfect for both formative and reflective practices as well. For example, you may choose to add a Q&A type activity as an assignment.
- Critical listening & viewing skills go far beyond just hearing or viewing a message or performance. They involve analyzing the information and messages contained within, and making important decisions about truth, authenticity and relevance for example.
Why is VoiceThread Important?
You may use VoiceThread to engage Students in a variety of Course contexts including:
- As a way to get to know your students and introduce yourself or the Course
- As a way for students to provide feedback to your presentations or to create their own
- As an Assignment tool (see below) VoiceThread is available from within your Learning@Griffith Course (see ‘Setting up your VoiceThread’ for how to enable) and can be integrated with the Marks Centre for graded assignments. The best news! VT assignments are easily and quickly allocated marks online via the VT Platform.
VoiceThread Assignments – 3 main types
- Create a VoiceThread Assignment If you want your students to create their own individual VoiceThread presentations, select the ‘Create a VoiceThread’ Assignment type.’ · Comment (submit a comment) on a VoiceThread Assignment If you want to create a presentation (eg. PPT slides with narration) describing your Assignment and have your student cohort provide Comments select ‘Submit a Comment’ Assignment type.
- Watch a VoiceThread Assignment After creating a presentation you can configure this watching assignment to require comments for Assignment purposes. They may comment on a presentation, video, image etc.
What VLE tools can VoiceThread integrate with?
Equipment & Browser compatibility
- Video Cam (Your device/computer, USB Cam/Mic)
- VoiceThread is supported fully by the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.
- VoiceThread can be used in Blackboard